I’m getting close to completing my BSJ. I’ve decided to call it Microgreens because it is turning out a bit small. It will definitely be suited to a newborn, not much older. Because of this, I’m thinking of scaling up the pattern. I know, I could just use thicker yarn or bigger needles, but I like the fabric that is resulting with sock yarn on US2’s.
In order to do this, I thought an analysis of the geometry of the sweater would be in order, and whether you are interested or not, I’m going to share it with you.
The sweater is quite a marvel of geometry. It is knit all in one piece, looks like an odd geometric surface when you finish, and you only have one end and two short seams (the shoulders and top of the sleeves).
You start with a long cast on. This comprises the entire wingspan of the sweater plus the width of the sleeves. You knit in garter stitch for quite a ways, doing double decreases a distance the length of aforementioned sleeve width in from the ends. As you can predict, you are knitting a rectangle, decreasing toward the middle of the opposite side of the cast on. If you ignore the fabric bunched up in this picture and look just at the part that is flattened out, you can see what I mean. Oh, yes, a few rows in from the edge, you increase a bit along the sleeve edges to provide a bit of ease in the sleeve width – it is almost like increasing after a cuff. I doubt you can see this in the picture, but it’s there.
When your sleeves are long enough, you then transition to the body by now increasing at the same point at which you were once decreasing. It’s almost like you are now knitting the same shape from the other side. You can fold your sleeves together at this point and see how the body is going to rake shape. It results in two double layer “L’s”, joined in mirror image along the upright, and with one side open at the joining edge. In short, a T-shaped sweater. In the picture shown, I’ve flattened out a corner of the body so you can see the increases and where the neck cast off is located (described later). The rectangle that was flat in the previous picture is now folded up on itself – see the triangular shape sticking to the left bottom?
Once you get a bit in, you cast off a few stitches at each edge which forms a neckline.
The sweater is shaping up at this point, but it would be pretty squat. To solve this EZ has you knit back and forth on the center panel for a bit, then pick up stitches on the edges of that bit and continue on to form the button band (the short edges) and continue to lengthen the hem a bit. The pictures show the resulting tab along with detail of the stitches picked up at the edges.
I suppose this would be easier to show once it is off the needles, but even then, I’m not sure if you can put this down in two dimensions.
If you haven’t knit one, I highly recommend it. It is so entertaining that I didn’t get much other knitting done on my trip, but here is a little update on the colorwork hat.
I’m also including a progress report on the Bunny socks. It is funny how the reverse stockinette sole makes the sock turn in on itself, at least with this yarn and gauge.
As you can tell from the lack of floral shots, I’m back home in Minnesota. Switzerland was fun, but I am glad to be back home.
I hope your travels were safe and satisfactory.