One thing the Warm Hats, Not Hot Heads campaign has done for me is to allow me to make a pretty good dent in my yarn surplus. As any economist will tell you, that is important to help stave off recessionary factors. As I will tell you, it’s important to allow me to head off to Sock Summit this summer with plenty of room in my stash for additional purchases. All eight of my hats came out of stash. I’m pretty pleased with that. And I’m pleased with my latest two contributions. I cast on the first one Saturday morning while up in Pennsylvania. It’s out of Classic Elite Moss and was a very fast knit. I bound off while watching Despicable Me with Dale that evening. I cast on the last one Sunday morning and finished it tonight. It’s Classic Elite Kumara in a pretty aquamarine. I made up the lace pattern as I went. It would’ve been a faster knit, but some of that lace was trial and error. I’ll put all eight hats in the mail the very first thing in the morning.
Our trip to PA included, of course, a stop at the building site. It may not seem to have changed much to the casual observer, but check out that soffit, those corbels, the window trim! And inside the mud-work has transformed raw dry-wall into beautifully shaped arches and corners to define our living spaces. (AND a laundry chute!!) We had hoped to see copper roofing on the porch, but the machine to install it didn’t get delivered. It is now scheduled for this Wednesday. Our wells are held up too. The drill truck was having trouble moving around and bracing itself in the slippery red clay mud. Ironic that too much water is preventing us from finding water.
Enroute to PA I worked on finishing my Spiraluscious. Unfortunately, I wasn’t successful thanks to a shortfall of about 10 yards of yarn. I should have been a bit more circumspect in needle selection. The pattern calls for size 3s, but I chose to go with 4s as my yarn choice was a bit bulkier than the fingering weight called for. (Okay, a lot bulkier — I’d call it a light worsted.) I also should have taken the pattern at its word regards yardage. My choice had 3 yards shy of the yardage called for. (Okay, so one shouldn’t convince oneself that they always add a buffer to yarn requirements.) I ran out of yarn 3 edge repeats from the end of the project. I thought about ripping back and eliminating some of the last repeat of the body pattern, but instead got on Ravelry and went looking for people with the same yarn in their stash. Hurrah for Ravelry! I found someone with a remnant left over from a project they had knit and PM’d her. She said she would be more than happy to send her remaining 21 yards in my direction. Knitters are wonderful! Of course, with the success of the WHNHH campaign, you already knew that!