This is about a week old, suffered while in Brussels. Yes, the story behind it is indeed embarassing. No, the story behind it does not involve alcohol. ‘Nuff said.
The remainder of the Brussels trip was too fast. I landed Sunday, had all day meetings Monday, and flew out on Tuesday morning. “Blink!” And it was gone. I did have a great view from my hotel room — same hotel as usual, but I’m usually in a room looking over the back alley — and we did go walking out on Sunday night for dinner. I almost didn’t bring my camera, but am pleased that I did. I only took about a half dozen shots, but they were good ones. I think the shot of Saint Catherine’s Church at night is my favorite. Camera will travel with me this week as I head for Philadelphia and “Vision 2020” where I’m one of two delegates from Virginia. This is one trip I’m really looking forward to!
On the Brussels trip I finished my Tangled Vines socks. I will write up the pattern for them, hopefully tonight, but we’ll see. It is Sunday and almost 5:30PM already, so it may have to wait till next week. I enjoyed knitting these and I like the fabric. Some lace socks seem to have too
flimsy delicate of a fabric, but these are lacey looking and still feel like they aren’t one thread-snap away from unraveling. I designed them for a high instep with average ankle thickness and find that they fit very nicely. The pattern will have both written and charted instructions for the lace stitch, the traveling vines pattern in Walker. I had to work out the chart myself and managed to get past a challenge that others seemed to have with it (I did some web searching to see if it had already been done) by shifting the pattern a few stitches so that the decreases all fall within the bounds of the repeat. That makes it very workable for a sock pattern and eliminated the fiddliness of shifting stitches around needles when worked on dpn’s.
I solved another knitting problem this weekend as I finally pulled my Kniestrüpmfe out of the drawer and sat down with a needle and elastic thread to work some extra elasticity into the ribbing at the top of the cuffs. I simply turned them inside out and then ran the needle through the backs of the purl stitches (all right, all right, I do know that the back of a purl stitch is a knit stitch!) around the sock. I knotted the ends securely and then trimmed them close. This was repeated about 15 times on each sock to form parallel rounds from the bottom of the ribbed section to the very edge of the cuff. I love how it turned out. It’s invisible from the right side (the picture is of the wrong side) and when I put the socks on they feel snug, but not tight. I’ll be able to wear these with no fear that they’ll fall down. Now to find a corduroy skirt to wear with them!
My last knitting report is on Baby’s First Angora, a new pattern of mine (still in pencil notations, but which will be converted for upload soon!) for simple, but luxurious accessories for the 3-6 month old. (I’ll make a version for the 0-3 month old as well, but haven’t done so yet.) These are fun to knit as they finish so quickly and take such a small amount of yarn. These are of Phildar Phil’Angora 70 — it took 30 wopping grams of it for the entire set. I only wish that I had a real baby to try them out on!!
Breathe deeply…another week is heading our way!