Herewith, I am coining a new knitting acronym — the UDI or unexpected design innovation. These are those changes to patterns we make when we are well into the pattern and we realize that if we continue executing the pattern as written, we will be unhappy. So, we make changes. We may be worried about running out of yarn, so we adapt to use another color, reduce rounds between decreases, or shorten sleeves — or we may realize we’re going to have loads of yarn left so we add repeats or lengthen sleeves — or we discover we worked the pattern incorrectly about umpteen rows back so we determine we can make it work if we make sure to make the same deviation on the other side — or…you get the idea…and we discover we love the result better than we thought we would like the original.
This little sock is a UDI…I was sizing up the fast baby booties and discovered that adding only 2 stitches to the cast on yielded a toddler sized sock, not a 6-9 month bootie as I was targeting. I kept going though and realized the resulting footy (you can’t call a big girl or boy’s sock a bootie, right?!) would fit the foam stress reliever foot that we had in the office at work. And if knit in a harder wearing worsted, it would make a nice little slipper sock for toddlers. I still have to write up the pattern…the weekend disappeared on me. (We got surprised by early arrival of some furniture and it took almost all of Saturday to get it from the warehouse and into place.)
Not much more knitting to highlight this week. I did finish the cuff of a pair of socks that is part of The Knit Wits Socks Around the World. They’ll go into the mail next week headed for the next knitter who will do the heel. I think I’ll cast on a pair of socks for myself as soon as I’m done here.
It was great fun to see you Thursday night. Sorry you’re flight cancellation stuck you in DC, but I benefited from it. Hope you had a blast at Rhinebeck, and I’m expecting those sheep. 😉