I know you find it shocking that I am actually posting to the blog two weeks in a row. Considering that I have a strong closure impulse, and to really close out on the story of my Blue Moons cardigan I needed to live up to my promise for a tutorial on dropping back to add buttonholes, you shouldn’t be all that surprised. (Of course, given my recent history of posting, I guess maybe you should be!)
Recall that I had knit Blue Moons, my version of the Veronik Avery Forestry cardigan, with a lot of dithering about whether I wanted buttons or not. I’d actually knit most of the front band when I did an about face and decided I wanted to use buttons and buttonholes for a double-breasted jacket. That front band went from bottom right, around a very deep shawl collar, and down to the lower left – long rows that I’d need to frog and re-knit in order to knit those buttonholes in the right places. With only 8 rows to drop back (unlike for the missed cable cross in my previous post), I preferred to wrangle dropped stitches than slog through all that knitting again.
I used the buttonhole described in a Knitting Daily tutorial for 2×2 ribbing. After marking the stitch to the right of the buttonhole, I dropped back the 4 columns required. I had all the stitches for the band on a long circular and had adjusted the needle opening to be right at the buttonhole before I started, so I could use the left needle tip to hold onto those 4 lives stitches.
Starting on the right side of the work, I used the first long bar of yarn (be careful – don’t pick them up out of the original order in which they were knit) to work an SSK in the first two stitches, then a double yarnover, then K2tog. It still looks like 4 stitches, but the middle two are that double yarnover.
After flipping the sweater over so I now had the wrong side facing me, I picked up the next loose bar (again, careful about the order!) and purled two stitches together, did another double yarnover, and then did a slip slip purl. Yes, this left my double yarnover from the first row dangling. Flipping the sweater again, I now worked one knit stitch, (following the ribbing pattern), a knit stitch into the first yarnover (catching the dangling yarn), and a purl stitch into the second yarn over (again, catch that dangler) and end with a knit one.
From here on out I just worked in pattern to use up the other dropped bars of yarn. It worked out really slick, and a side benefit was it let me get the entire buttonhole worked in one concentrated space of time rather than having long stretches of band knitting in between steps.
It didn’t keep me from having long spans of time between blog posts, but maybe I’ve reversed that trend.